IIT Madras offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs leading to the award of BTech, Dual Degree, MTech, MSc, PhD, MBA and MA degrees. Details of each of the programs and their admission processes are given below.
B Tech and Dual Degree
- These programs are offered by 9 departments to the students who clear the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), conducted by the IITs in April every year. World renowned for its ultra-competitive nature, the JEE attracts upto 500,000 candidates of which less than 2.5% secure an admission to the IITs.
- BTech is a four year (eight semester) program, designed to impart the fundamentals of professional engineering. As per the academic curriculum, BTech students undertake a research project in the fourth year.
- Dual Degree is an integrated BTech plus MTech five year (ten semester) program, designed to give more emphasis to project work. The program is in line with BTech for three years. For the next two years, the students take up courses in their area of MTech specialization. In the fifth year, students do an exclusive MTech project.
- The academic exposure includes a variety of courses from core technical to humanities, basic sciences and management. These programs also mandate an industrial internship at the end of the third year.
- This program is offered to students who clear the highly competitive Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), conducted by the IITs and IISc.
- The two year (four semester) program involves core courses in the area of specialization apart from electives and a final year project. The student is also required to give one or more seminars and undergo industrial/practical training during the program.
- This program is offered to students who clear the Joint Admission Test to MSc (JAM) conducted by the IITs. On average, only 4% of the aspirants who take this test secure admission.
- The two year (four semester) program is designed to impart essential knowledge in the respective departments and allow for specialization in major areas.
MS and PhD
- These programs are offered in various disciplines to scholars exhibiting a high calibre in research. Basic and applied research are undertaken on par with international standards.
- The research program can be interspersed with theory courses to aid in the project. Tentatively, the MS and PhD programs are completed in two and four years respectively.
- This program is offered to students who clear the highly competitive Common Admission Test (CAT) .
- The two year (eight quarter) program offered by the Department of Management Studies (DoMS) is designed to produce competent managers. The program places emphasis on business and industrial knowledge as well as soft skills.
- This is a unique five year integrated program launched in 2006, offering an MA degree in three major disciplines:
- Development Studies
- English Studies
- 46 students are selected each year for the program through the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination conducted by IIT Madras.